Instant Pot Beef Stew
Beef Stew happens to be one of the oldest dishes in culinary history. Before anyone knew how to prepare fancy delicacies for dinners, they stuck to beef stews. Stews were not only light and delicious, but very healthy. Stews can be eaten in a variety of ways during the lunch or dinner time.
Beef stews are a reflection of your expertise in the kitchen. Beef is a relatively tough ingredient to cook. The meat is only a few minutes away from staying under-cooked to getting over cooked and rubbery. It has to be prepared in the right temperature, seasoned with the right spices. But if the stew is prepared properly, it is the best dish of all on the menu. Here is how you make beef stew in an instant pot:
- 2 pounds of beef steak – maximum thickness should be 1.5 inches
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 12 white mushrooms
- 2 small onions
- 2 celery stalks
- 4 gold potatoes
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup sherry wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp flour
- Black pepper
Chicken Stock Mixture ingredients
- 1 and 1/2 cup of unsalted chicken stock
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- Prepare the instant pot by turning on maximum heat and making it sustain at that temperature.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil in the pressure cooker. Meanwhile in a bowl, take the beef steak and marinate it with generous quantity of salt and pepper from one side. Place the steak inside the pot when oil is slightly heated.
- When placed, season the other side of the beef steak with salt and pepper, while still maintaining the heat underneath.
- Let the beef cook for 8 minutes on each side. You will notice that the side will eventually turn brown in color.
- While the beef is getting prepared, take a separate bowl and mix all ingredients to prepare chicken stock mixture.
- In a pan, take a little olive oil and saute the mushrooms. Or, you can simply slice the mushrooms and add them in the pressure cook along with the beef. Cook until they change in color and give out fragrance.
- Mushrooms and beef to be cooked together for 6 minutes and then removed from heat.
- In another pan, take a little oil and soften the onions. Onions need to be cut in thin slices. Saute them until they turn soft and brown.
- Add garlic cloves and stir until they change color.
- Add rest of the vegetables including carrots, celery, and any other if you wish and saute until every vegetable is slightly cooked and softened.
- Add sherry and let the alcohol reduce to make a mixture of fragrances.
- Now take the instant pot and add bay leaves and thyme, along with the chicken stock mixture. Mix everything and put on high temperature for 4 minutes. When the time period is completed, open the lid and let the pressure release naturally.
- When done, take out the beef steaks and cut them into big juicy chunks and mix with flour in a bowl.
- Now place the beef chunks again with the vegetables inside the instant pot but only keep half of the vegetables so the quantity of water is controlled.
- Put on high pressure for 32 minutes and allow the pressure to release naturally afterwards.
- Take out in a bowl and serve with mashed potatoes or pasta.
For more instant pot recipes, visit http://iprecipesfinder.com/