Instant Pot Carnitas
A mouth watering dish consisting of brown, crispy edges and perfectly cooked pork making it more tempting. How about trying your favorite pork with tortillas that make the dish even more interesting? Carnitas have been one of the greatest delicacies to have. These are very light, crispy and crunchy snacks to have. You can enjoy them as appetizers in some light courses as well.
Carnitas can be prepared in a matter of an hour and served hot. It would not be wrong to call them a delicate version of tacos. With all the crunch, the sensation and aura, carnitas are definitely one of our favorite snacks in the world. Here’s how you make them.
- 3 1/4 pounds of pork shoulder meat cut into 2-2 1/4 inches cubes
- 200 ml unsalted chicken stock
- 4 (13g) garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (200g) medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon (2g) cumin seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon (2g) cinnamon powder or 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) light soy sauce (not low sodium soy sauce)
- 55ml juice from 1 fresh orange
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 8 – 12 corn tortillas
- Salsa ( pico de gallo)
- 1 lime
- Prepare pork shoulder meat by removing the bones and cutting it into cubes. Do not fret if the cubes are not uniform. The best way to cut meat is by taking a very sharp knife and cutting cubes by keeping an equal distance from one cube to another.
- Marinate the cubes by placing them in the instant pot’s inner pot. They will be marinated and seasoned with kosher salt and ground black pepper. Add 4 garlic cloves, chopped onion, 2g ground cumin, 2g cinnamon powder, 2 bay leaves, 15ml light soy sauce and 55ml juice. Mix all of the ingredients for 20 minutes. Make sure the heat is kept medium and the mixing is proper. All seasoning needs to be mixed thoroughly so to spread the aroma and flavor equally everywhere.
- Now, pressure cook the shoulder cubes. Add 200ml unsalted chicken stock in inner pot. Close the lid and put the cooker on pressure. Release the pressure after 15 minutes. Make sure the release is natural and does not alter the seasoning you’ve done.
- Place the cubes on a baking tray. Check the cubes if they are salty or not by tasting them. If not, add more Kosher salt. Add some cooking liquid over each piece. This cooking liquid is basically any juice or gravy formed after seasoning the cubes. This is an essential tip as it helps maintain flavor and aroma of the meat.
- Now, place these cubes under preheated toaster of 450F for 8-12 minutes until the surface becomes crisp. Flip the cubes and add more of the cooking liquid and place them again in the oven until they are crisp. Make sure every cube has the same color and maintains its natural juiciness and taste.
- If you want to serve carnitas with tortillas, you can heat them when the carnitas are in the oven.
- Serve the carnitas on top of the tortillas in the form of small pieces with some salsa. Add a little lime on top.
Serve and eat.
For more instant pot recipes, visit http://iprecipesfinder.com/